Wednesday, August 4, 2010

August 4th, 2010 Gordon Nelson and Tara Merenda Nelson

Experimental Short Films by Gordon Nelson and Tara Merenda Nelson

Join us for a night of experimental 16mm and Super 8 films by spouses Gordon and Tara Nelson. This unique film performance features live multiple projections, original sound compositions and kaleidoscopic visuals. Abstractions of nature, autobiography and other-worldly adventures are thematically explored in this program.

Microdots
Super 8 Sound





Frankensteined Film
16mm Sound






Cloud Study
16mm dual projection





Noisolpmi
16mm

River
16mm dual projection

43rd Street Treelapse
Super 8 triple projection

Nitebrite
16mm/animation

Dome
16mm/animation

Snow
Super 8 sound

Marathon
Super 8 color

.....and a few surprises!

Bios:
Tara -
I was born on St. Thomas in 1975 but had to leave just after I learned to swim. I was raised in southern Maryland near the Chesapeake Bay, back when they still had tobacco farms everywhere. I have lived in Chapel Hill, Portland, Buffalo and Vienna and Boston, but I like Pittsburgh most of all. It's a place like no other. My favorite filmmaker is Rose Lowder, who lives in France and makes the most beautiful movies you ever saw. I hope to meet her one day.

I make films that explore the psychological space of creativity in search of the imagination. My husband Gordon helps me.

Gordon -
Gordon Nelson is a Scottish born filmmaker, educator and curator who was raised in Pennsylvania and is married to Tara Merenda Nelson. He has taught filmmaking classes at Pittsburgh Filmmakers and Massachusetts College of Art and Design and curated film programs at the Carnegie Museum of Art. He is also a founder of Jefferson Presents, a microcinema collective with over 100 independent programs. His films, videos and curated programs have been seen across the United States and as far away as New Zealand.